Sunday, October 28, 2007

My Season

Yes, for everyone that ever wanted to know, this is my season! That is, the one that follows summer and precedes winter...AUTUMN! And with that comes all the changing colors of the leaves. Here at Fountainview, we have orchards all over the property and the leaves have slowly been changing colors from greens to yellows to oranges to pinks to reds. It is beautiful! Several students and I were in the orchards yesterday getting some last snapshots before they turn brown. Here is just a small selection of the photos... (I thought I would include some of Autumn and Autumn ;)...)











It is amazing to me that many of us think fall is one of the prettiest seasons of the year. But after the fall of man in the Garden of Eden, that first fall was a devastating experience for Adam and Eve. Mrs White comments, "As Adam witnessed the first signs of decaying nature in the falling leaf and in the drooping flowers, he mourned more deeply than men now mourn over their dead. The drooping flowers were not so deep a cause of grief, because more tender and delicate; but the tall, noble, sturdy trees to cast off their leaves, to decay, presented before him the general dissolution of beautiful nature, which God had created for the special benefit of man." {SR 55.2} How is it that today we have come to think of it as such a beautiful time of year rather than a time of mourning. I can think of two things: 1) God brings beauty out of tragedy. Though it is a reminder of sin, God tries to still cover it with his grace and bring a beauty out of it instead. 2) Though it is the beginning of a bleak, barren, harsh, and long cold winter to come, the fall colors almost give us a foretaste and glimpse of the beauty that will come to the earth during the new birth of spring when God makes all things new again.

So in our own lives: when we are on the brink of a winter experience in our lives, he shows us two things: first, that He can bring beauty where their is pain and ugliness and second, He will takes us through that experience to enjoy the rebirth on the other side where he makes all things new. May you remember that this fall.

10 comments:

Joelle said...

I like your season too. I miss the fall colors here, we don't get a splendid array of colors in S. CA. Sigh. We were supposed to go to the mountains and see the fall colors this weekend, but the forest fire smoke prevented us from going. Oh well.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Autumn pictures, Autumn! Spring and fall are my two favorite seasons, and the reasons I like these seasons are both the same: temps and colors.

I too have wondered why there is so much beauty associated with a season foreshadowing death and the coming of winter. The beauty of the colors is undeniable. I heard recently that the change in colors may not be directly related to the falling of the leaves, but is instead triggered by changes in hours of daylight (i.e., the seasons). So it is possible even in Eden that leaves changed color with the seasons. It is hard to imagine that all those varied colors are to remain hidden in the leaves and we will never see them again in heaven.

Melanie said...

Those are such nice pictures of you Autumn. Its nice that you can take some pictures of yourself during the autumn Autumn... heeeeeee! By the way, it's my favorite seasons and you're one of my favorite friends. Have a fabulous week!!

holamickey said...

You are right-and in celebration, I ate part of a pumkin donut today! Thanks for the buzz - so, what do you think about trees clapping their hands? :)

Autumn said...

Joelle, that is a bummer that you couldn't make it to the mountains to see the colors...oh, well, maybe next year, right?

Michael, that would be interesting if the leaves just changed colors from green to red/orange/yellow/etc and then turned back to green while never falling from the trees... hmmmm...interesting.

Melanie, ahhhh! you are one of my favorite friends too! And I miss you soooo much! I think of you all the time and wish you could come visit... I will have to talk to you about that alaska trip!

Micheal, you celebrated with a pumpkin donut? That totally sounds like the perfect treat for the fall! :) ... I will have to celebrate too except that I don't have any pumpkin donuts... sigh! And trees clapping their hands... are you sure that's not just a Michigan thing? Our Canadian trees here don't seem to do much of that...

Rachelle said...

I love it how your hair colour matches your season so well =)

Staci said...

These pictures are so pretty, Autumn! You are so photogenic. I was just thinking as I was admiring the fall colors on my drive back from Berrien, that every season of our lives can be beautiful--even those when there is uncertainty.

Paeter said...

Nice pictures, excellent thought. That quote about Adam & Eve is one I have always been amazed at.

Unknown said...

I would comment on the self-portraiture, but I shall just say nice pictures. =)

Unknown said...

btw, my e-mail is albie024@yahoo.com, I do not seem to have your right e-mail