Sunday, November 4, 2007

"If I were a guy, I'd marry after 30..."

These are the words of wisdom spoken by one of my 15-year old seniors. She has commented to me before that she is surprised that I am not married yet. She says she would think that I would have had many guys take an interest in me in the past and how have I just avoided getting married? I assured her I have never been desperate to get married and I enjoy waiting on God. Well this week, she announced to me that if she were a guy, she would most definitely wait until she was thirty to get married. Her rationale is that too many young guys are so desperate to get married that they just settle for anyone rather than being patient and waiting for the best. And then she said, "But then all the really nice quality girls are the older ones like you, Miss O. I think the guys should wait till they're 30 so they can get all the great girls like yourself." Well, Ellen, thanks for your words of encouragement! And so to all my single "older" friends, just remember that things get better with age!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're not old. your hair is just more wrinkly. ha ha. you're not old at all. and as for the student's thought that many guys have been chasing, i want to comment but i suppose i shouldn't. i guess i'll save that for a phone conversation. hope things are going well for you.

Anonymous said...

I think it's interesting that my brother-in-law commented on this post because I have, more than once, challenged him about his conceptions of "old."

Interesting how our perceptions of age change when we have a keen eye on God's will, and a glimpse of eternity. I could go on...but I'm glad your student, albeit maybe a little too transparent, considers you among the "quality" gals. I do agree.

Autumn said...

Hey Joe... so my hair is wrinkly, huh?? I will have to iron it, I guess. :) And thanks for the "you're not old" part... I mean after all, I still have a 2 in front of my age! :) Ya, we'll have to save that last part for a phone conversation :)...

Kendra, you are right about age... in light of eternity, we are not even milli-seconds old...not that's young :)... And as far as quality, you fit in that bunch too! :)

Unknown said...

Well that was sweet! Of course you don't need to worry, Autumn. Everyone knows the Osterman girls are hot items. The philosophical musings don't even really kick in until you hit 30....

Staci said...

Very wise thoughts. I wish more guys thought like she did. Maybe there would be more mature, godly young men out there our age. I've always told myself that waiting makes the prize that much sweeter in the end.

Norman McNulty said...

Hi Autumn, that was a cute thought by a 15-year old. I'll have to say that I agree with your student that I'm glad I waited till I turned 30 till I got married to Joelle. God knows what's best for timing and for who is the right one. :)

Anonymous said...

I have lost track of your age now (given your two birthdays every year), but there is no rush in making one of life's most important decisions!
Take care!
Christoffer

Anonymous said...

Wow that was a funny yet insightful comment from her. You're definitely not old and have plenty of life left. I'm glad you're using your gifts for God's glory.