Monday, July 30, 2007

Blessings and Friends!

This past weekend was an amazing one--full of many blessings and friends. I went down to Berrien Springs to visit one of my best friends Melanie. It was a spiritually charged weekend and a fun one as well. On Sabbath, my friend Reuben preached. His sermon touched on the fact that it is our God-given commission to make disciples. But in order to make disciples, it is important to know what a disciple is. What are the characteristics of a disciple? He then took us to John 13:35 that says we will know a disciple by one main characteristic--love for one another. That love consists of being willing to give and receive reproof and correction that is intended to build up another person and help them in their quest to be more like Jesus. The motto that we each should have when a person shares with us our faults is to say, "Thank you for caring enough to share." It may not always be easy to take, but if it means having a character more like Christ's than it is more than worth it!

After church we had a young people's potluck during which I found a little bat drowning in the toilet! Poor thing! He was more than grateful to be rescued. (To say the least, he shocked me a great deal. That is not what you expect to find in the toilet!) Then after visiting and singing to several individuals in the community, we went to the beach to have sundown worship. It was amazing!! I miss the beach so much. Here are a few pictures...


Melanie and I. Melanie is one of the most awesome friends you could ask for! Thanks for letting me spend the weekend with you!



There were some awesome dunes that you could jump from. Here Melanie and I are trying pair jumping. Kyle says that we are so good we are on our way to Beijing for the Olympics. I do think our landing needs a bit more work!











Crazy friends are the best. Do we win the prize for cheeziness?



I had no idea Melanie was making a funny face and she had no idea I was. Well, here is the result. Great minds think alike!



On my way down! Thankfully Reuben caught me.













This is how people from Tennessee wear their pants. Or maybe it is how they keep their neck warm. We are still trying to figure it out. Maybe Kyle can help us understand the mind of a Tennessean...











Kyle's prized catch--fillet of sole.









These next four pictures are the artistic talent of Melanie. I think they are awesome and wanted to share them...







7 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey you! Where did you get all those pictures and for free!!. Hee Hee! It was so awesome to have you here last weekend. God truly blessed me through you. I loved all the laughs and prayers too. See you at ASI. I better bring some pants in case my neck gets cold...! Have a happy week!

The Grammarian said...

Good point about the character building exercise that we must go through in this life, to prepare for the next life! It takes a special person with special graces from God to not tear down as he/she builds up through reproof, yah? Hopefully, you will be the teacher that your students look back on as one who did just that for them.

Filet of sole. Teehee.

holamickey said...

Praise God for working out your papers - Another miracle!
Nice pictures and for sure a classic of Kyle. And about that funeral (that never happened)... its a good thing. :)

Autumn said...

Melanie, yes, please bring some pants with you so then maybe I can add a picture of you with Kyle :)

Kendra, you are so right. It is such a fine line to reprove in love. I do hope we all have God's grace to do it in love.

Michael, I am glad you clarified that the "funeral" didn't happen...can you imagine how horrible your entry would sound if it read "about that funeral...its a good thing." Mercy! So is it a good thing it didn't happen or is it a good thing it hypothetically happened... :) Ok, this is confusing!

Melanie said...

oh man, i forgot to bring my neck pants to ASI. opps! That a grand disappointment. After all i didn't see Kyle with his on so i guess i was cool anyways!

Melanie said...

typo...opps

Autumn said...

Ya, Melanie, it was probably a good thing you forgot them because you may have gotten some funny looks from people. After all, we were in Kentucky, not Tennessee, so they may not have the same custom there of wearing their pants around their necks :).

I will let you know when I will be coming down.