Thursday, July 12, 2007

Great Bear Tips!

Today I was doing some research on the internet to learn more about my new home in Lillooet British Columbia. I came across a website for the District of Lillooet British Columbia that has tons of information about its history, things to do, places to see, etc. One of the sections had pictures of wildlife that live in the area including mountain goats, big horn sheep, cougars, and of course, bears. I was especially amused by the caption under the picture of the bear.

Wear small bells to warn bears you're coming and carry pepper spray. Black Bears are in the area if you see 'scat' with berries and rabbit fur in it. Grizzly Bears are in the area if you see 'scat' that smells like pepper and has small bells in it.

Wow! That's one important informational tip! I will have to remember that when I get to Canada. I think I'd rather look out for the bells though considering I don't treasure the thought of sniffing bear 'scat'! I'll let you know if I come across any when I am up there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting...remind me not to get near you...

Autumn said...

No, Albert, I think I would rather have you with me so that you can fight the bear away for me! Just remember to wear the bells... or not!!

Melanie said...

That's so funny Autumn. Wow, maybe you shouldn't were bells or pepper spray! It doesn't sound like they work much better than berries or rabbit hair. Anyway, I would love to come out there sometime.

Melanie said...

Thanks so much for coming to visit me. It was such a blessing to catch up, pray and just have fun at the beach. I will miss you when you move. HOpefully I can come and get to know the bears with you some time. Anyways, have a wonderful week and see you at Joelle's wedding. :)