Monday, September 8, 2008

A Little of This and That...

This post is about a little of this and a little of that since that is about what my life has been since I got back to Canada. I arrived home with the students on a late Wednesday night expecting to have two solid days to unpack my belongings I flew home with and organize a few last minute things for class. I was hoping to enter my school year with as little stress as possible... Well, things were not to be that way. When I arrived home, this is what I found...


When I left for the summer, I had white walls and carpeted floors and everything was nicely straight and in order. I came back and my entire room had been boxed up and was laying in a heap in the corner of my room. My white walls where now tan and my carpeted floor was now wood. I was in shock! I had no idea they were going to do anything to my room over the summer. (I knew they were remodeling the rest of the house, but they weren't supposed to touch the back rooms. Well, there was a slight miscommunication and well, my room was done too.) I was exhausted from a long day of travel and nearly wanted to cry when I saw my room in such disarray. I just stood in the corner and kept muttering to myself, I can't believe this. I really can't believe this. I couldn't not find a single thing in my room--my school books for school, my car keys, and not even a towel. It was awful.

So instead of having a peaceful entry into a new school year, it became a stressful nightmare to try to get my room back in order. It took me two solid days to be able to unpack everything and make it look presentable. Here is the result.



So that was the start...And then I found out we had a overload of chemistry students this year. I have 20 of the 26 juniors in my class. (The other 6 opted to take biology.) We didn't have enough of the old textbooks, so I had to make a last minute decision to switch to a new one. That meant laying out the entire year all over and organizing all new reading and homework assignments. That was another thing I was not anticipating. So I must admit, it was not a relaxing start, but I guess God knew I needed some major character development.

And then for some other random events. Here is a Sabbath afternoon hike I took with some of the kids. It is a really beautiful place called Botany Valley.





Here is a little visitor who keeps coming into my backyard to catch frogs and whatnot. I've seen him about 4 or 5 times in the past few days.



And finally, a little guessing game for you. There are four of these in my house. What do you think they are? (Unless you can't see well, it is a bucket with water in the bottom, a floating bowl with a piece of bread and peanut butter and honey, and a little ramp leading up to the bucket...Use your imagination!)

5 comments:

Paeter said...

Oooh!!! MICE!

Unknown said...

Ummm... I'm trying to guess.... You like to play "Bobbing for PB&H sandwiches"?

Autumn said...

Oh, Michael, I laughed so hard! Ya, that's exactly what I like to do in my free time! ;) In fact, I leave it right by my bed so when I am bored I can practice!! Haha!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow... looks like a crazy beginning to a school year. I was scared I would have to do something similar-move out my entire trailer to a smaller one. Fortunately, plans changed and I didn't have to move at all.

Happy teaching!

Megan

livin4truth said...

Nice Mouse Trap. lol, Mr. Luchack used to have me make those for the bakery. usually it would have the lid on it with a little tube running into it. Sounds like you are having an interesting year.
Take Care
Jerome