Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Essence of pussy cat...

What is black and white and stinks all over? If you are thinking of the creature that chatters its teeth, stamps its little feet, and hikes its tail, then you are wrong.... Well, sort of wrong. I had in mind a creature that looks more like this....


Yes, black and white and stinks all over. But to give you credit for your answer, he does smell like skunk. And you wonder why we have him in the house! Ya, I have been wondering the same thing! :)... No, really he is in here for a good reason, but he sure doesn't think so. He has been bemoaning all night and this morning begging to either be let outside or to be petted--both of which we are reluctant to do. So instead he stares out the window hoping for the day he can finally go back outside. And trust me, we are looking forward to that day as well. (Or at least I should say our noses are!)

So this is the deal. Our backyard has become a zoo for all kinds of wild creatures this summer. Since I took Shanuk with me to Canada, there is no longer a dog presence in the backyard which makes these wild creatures think they have a right to enter the yard. When I first got home this summer, my dad caught a family of 5 raccoons and released them in an open fields miles from our home. We thought that was the end of our visitors until lo and behold, one morning we smelled that distinct odor of skunk. Great! Now just how are you supposed to catch a skunk. Well, I guess the catching part is not so hard, but the releasing part? Ya, that could pose a problem! Well, pest control finally told us they would get rid of it if we caught it. (I wonder if they wear gas masks!)

So last night, we had to bring in Tuxedo just so we didn't end up catching him in the trap instead. Poor cat and poor us! We saw two skunks last night--a really big one and a baby. We were hoping to catch the big one this morning, but only managed to get the baby. Lovely...I guess that means Tuxedo will have to stay another night inside while we attempt to catch the big one. Ughh... Here is the little guy...

3 comments:

Paeter said...

LOL...I can totally relate. My previous cat got sprayed by a skunk (a bath in Fabreeze helps for short stints and it is supposed to be safe for pets)...and chewed up by coons on another occasion. My dad has been trying to live trap a family of 3 coons this past week that have been getting onto the screened porch via the cat door to eat the cat food and wash their little hands in the cat water. The first attempt he ended up with a skunk...in the middle of the night the smell filled the whole house! I sleepily gave up trying to find fresh air that night. We don't transport them for odorous reasons, but what my dad does to let them out of the trap is to cover the live trap with a tarp or other such item so the skunk can't see you, then carefully open the trap door. This poor little guy didn't want to leave the trap so my dad had to spray him with water to get him out.

Staci said...

Poor kitty! I felt so bad for him. But then I also felt bad for you to be sleeping on the couch so near him. I know he's happy to be back outside.

Joelle said...

There are many skunks all over Loma Linda. In fact, I am usually nervous when we go walking after dark, for fear we might run into one! (We usually wait til it gets dark to go walking because it's cooled off enough by then.)