Sunday, March 30, 2008

A final update....

Here is one final update of the Philippines trip...

God blessed so much in the final events of our meetings. Saying goodbye to all the people was hard. On the last night, most of the groups had a going away party. One site begged me to come back for their final night. We had a wonderful time with a sermon and then a social night with crazy Filipino games (some are rather unusual!). I had only been at this site one other time, but the people made me feel as though I had been there the whole time. They even gave me a going away present.

That night I met one little boy named Kenneth who was ten years old. He hung out with me the entire evening and always wanted to sit right next to me. When I said goodbye, he cried and cried. I felt terrible! The people have a way to just work themselves right into your heart. (Kenneth is the boy right next to me.)

The last Sabbath, there were over 1500-2000 baptisms (I didn't get the exact final count). It was amazing to stand by the edge of the pool and see so many commit their lives to Christ. It was so neat!!



After we were done in Manilla, we went down to the lower part of Luzon Island to a beach resort called Matabungkay. On the way down, we stopped to see Taal volcano, the world's smallest active volcano at only 406 meters high. It is described as a "crater within an island within a lake" because it stands as an island in Taal Lake. The lake was formed after the volcano, which used to be much larger, collapsed. It was really cool. The volcano is the tiny island in the forefront.

The final day in the Philippines, we took a boat to an absolutely beautiful island. It was a very tiny island, but it had cool things to see including an old ship and a type of Greek acropolis on the top that we climbed up to. The water around the island was absolutely amazing. It was emerald green in places and deep blue in others and it was so clear that you could see way below the surface. I went snorkeling for the first time and it was incredible. I saw so many different types of fish, star fish, coral, anenome, etc. I felt like I was looking down on an aquarium from the top. On the way back, we were blessed with a wonderful sunset.



























The trip back was uneventful--unlike the trip there. It has been good to be back, but jet lag hit me once again. I came back to a full stack of grading, which was rather unpleasant, but I am slowly making my way along. This weekend we are at Puget Sound, so I will have to post about my time here in another post.

p.s. I meant to post a picture of the "demise of the star apple" since Paeter requested it (see comment on previous post), but I forgot that it is on a friends computer, so I may just have to post that one later...

6 comments:

Staci said...

So glad to see some more photos of the places you told us about. That water did look beautiful and clear and I love that blue starfish! As far as the little boy who loved you ... it doesn't surprise me. Children always love you! Got the letter you sent home with Royce yesterday. It was so exciting to get a letter from you. Enjoy your weekend away!

Rachelle said...

Autumn, it was really good to see you at ACTS! I also love your pictures and stories of the Philippines--it makes me want to go back there so bad. I want to do a mission trip to my mom's village...someday =)

Paeter said...

Sniffle...:P Well thanks for keeping the star apple in mind! :D All those baptisms...what a privilage to see. Thinking about that, I'm reminded of a sermon by Pastor Ascherick where he mentions that sometimes we think God doesn't perform miracles anymore...no seas parting, no food falling from heaven, etc. Yet he contended, we see a miracle of the highest order when we witness someone giving their life to Christ. Parting a sea is easy for God - changing a hardened heart...that isn't so easy. Anyway, that is a really cool blue starfish.

Autumn said...

Staci, I can't wait to get home this summer so that you can see all the other pictures I took.

Rachelle, it was great seeing you too! I do hope you can go back to the Philippines some time too!

Paeter, that is so true about the miracle of God changing a heart...It is something good to always keep in mind!

holamickey said...

I think somebody got wet!

I join Paeter in his response to the pictures of the baptisms.

Melanie said...

what a beautiful place Autumn! Mission trips are awesome and the blessing is even better. Thanks for posting all the pictures. oh I was thinking about the mass baptism and it reminded me of my time in Madagascar. it brings tears to your eyes to see that many at once doesn't it?! take care!!