Sunday, March 9, 2008

Another update...

It has been really hard for me to find time to post about all the things that are happening here. So once again, I'll include a lot of pictures to catch everyone up on the events of the past week. It is hard to believe that we have been here for a week and a half already. It seems like it has flown by already and at the same time, it seems that a lot has been packed into it as well.

On Tuesday, we went to the village of the staff member that is with us who is from the Philippines. It was so much fun to tour around his little village. We rode on motorbike tricycles from the main highway to his village because the road was too narrow for the bus. I think we were the amusement of the entire village seeing a bunch of white people riding around on the trikes. But it was fun! We took a long walk into the country side which is really pretty. They used to grow a lot of rice in the area but after the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo, the soil was too acidic from the volcanic ash. Now there are fish hatcheries all around. Notice the volcano in the background.


When the volcano erupted, it left so much volcanic ash in the area that some of the houses were completely buried. Others have only the roofs sticking out above the ground. This church used to be a lot taller than it is now. It was buried in 12 meters of ash. They have since just raised the floor in the inside of the church so the ceiling inside feels very low for it being a cathedral. The side windows are halfway sunk into the floor with only about 3-4 feet of the top of the window still exposed. It is really strange.


Out in the country, the fruit grows all over the trees there. We tried a new fruit there called a star apple (I can't remember what it is called in Tagalog) but it is so incredibly good. The fruit puts out a very sticky milky substance that makes your mouth feel really funny, but the inside of the fruit is almost like a jelly substance and is super sweet. I wish I could bring some back to the states.

This is one of my students and I eating a star apple. They are super messy to eat!


This is another fruit called a jack fruit. They are huge. I saw one cluster of jack fruit that had about 6 to 8 of these large fruits all growing together. I don't know how the branch can hold them up.


I haven't tried the star fruit when it is ripe, but I had it when it was green. They use it like a vegetable when it was green and cook it. It was really really good. The dish was called "come-and-see"... no, not really...:) I don't know how it is spelled in Tagalog, but that is how it is pronounced.

I don't think I have ever eaten as many different varieties of fruits as I have here in such a short amount of time. Most of them have been so good! We are in mango season right now so every day we eat tons of mangoes and since they are right of the tree, they are so good! Every day our meals consist of a large variety of mangoes, pineapples, papaya, bananas (they are wonderful here!), and a mixture of other fruits that I can't spell. I am getting spoiled!

While we were out in the country, I pet my first caribou and made friends with this cow. When I walked away, it tried to follow me.

We walked to this park in the village that had a lot of animal statues in it. Now I can say I have ridden a gorilla. He was a little harder than I expected and he didn't move... oh, well, maybe it is just a defective Filipino gorilla...


The other day, one of my students and I caught a gecko. I have been wanting to see one since I got here, so I was pretty excited to catch this one. His feet are super sticky so they can crawl across the ceiling.


In addition to all the fun things I have been doing here, I have been keeping busy with the evangelistic meetings. Every night, I go to a different site to watch each of my students preach. I am so proud of all of them. They are doing a wonderful job. One day last week, I reorganized their entire presentation for the 2300 days. The Share Him program was really confusing and the poor students were so frustrated that they couldn't understand it let alone preach it. I reorganized the entire presentation and then explained the entire 2300 days to the students who were going to preach. After that I worked individually with almost every speaker helping them tailor the sermon. At the conclusion of the day, I felt like I had prepared about 6 different sermons and was exhausted. But I am glad I was here to help them out of their pickle.

Some amazing things have been coming out of some of the sights. At one site, a woman came to the meeting one night after she had been randomly invited by one of the elders. She is not a religious person, but decided to accept his invitation to come. The night she came, they show the part of the Jesus video about Christ's baptism. She said she started to get goose bumps up here arms. Then one my students got up to preach. This lady was in absolute shock. She later explained to me what had happened. In December of 2001, she was sitting on her couch, when this being appeared in the room. This being told here that he would lead her to the true church. Being from a Catholic background, she asked the being if the Catholic church was the true church. He told her no... that it was corrupt and didn't teach the Bible. He then went on to explain that she would know the true church when she saw a video of Jesus baptism and then a American girl with long hair would begin to speak (a perfect description of the girl who spoke that night). In fact, (from what I understood) she was told there would be two or three American girls who would be preaching about the Bible (this is our only site with three girls). They being told here that when she saw this, this would be the true church. She told me that just three months ago, she moved to this province and when she moved, the being told her that it would be in this new location that the fulfillment of her dream would come. That night, she said she was overjoyed because she realized that what the being had told here 7 years ago actually happened. I wish you could have heard her express her story. She was so excited. Two days after this experience is when I met her and spoke with her. She told me that she felt this church was God's gift to her. I agree!


Today, I went with one of my students to a local radio station here in town. Every Sunday afternoon, Adventist laymen have a two hour radio timeslot. They asked my student to give a presentation on prophecy, so she preached about the 2300 days and the investigative judgment. for the first 35-40 minutes of the broadcast and then for the remaining 1 1/2 hours, we discussed the assurance we have in the judgment, the purpose of the investigative judgment, etc. Then callers called into the station and we answered live questions on the air. It was so much fun and a challenge to be able to answer questions like how we can prove there is a sanctuary in heaven, how we know the cleansing began in 1844, how to explain what the sanctuary is being cleansed from , how it got defiled in the first place, and how symbolically Christ can cleanse a sanctary in heaven. Thankfully we had two other laymen there that were helping us with the answers just in case we got stuck. It was a first time experience for me to be on a radio station, but it was such a blessing to share God with the people of the Philippines. They say that most of the their 3 millions listeners are non-Adventists. So I pray that God spoke through us today to teach people of the investigative judgment that is now happening on this earth.

It is late here...almost midnight. So I am headed to bed. Please continue to pray for our work here. We have 6 meetings left. God is still working on people's hearts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. We have been wondering how things are going. I would call, but not sure of the time change.

Thank you Lord for the fruit--physical as well as spiritual. May God continue to bless your time. We are praying for you and look forward to hearing from you again. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

PTL, Autumn. God is so good. I am praying for you guys. It's awesome to hear how he is leading people to his truth and spreading the message around the world.

Staci said...

My thoughts? I wish I could try those yummy tropical fruits you are eating! I thought the gecko was so cute and it didn't surprise me at all that you would want to catch and hold one! :) And I was happy to get all the details of the story of that lady. I've been telling others about it and they are all amazed. We are praying for you at home -- church. You'll have to do a mission report sometime this summer when you are home.
Love ya!, your sis

Rachelle said...

This brings back so many memories!!!
I love the fruit there, it's absolutely delicious. And it is insane, isn't it, how the jackfruit grow on the trees!!!
I remember many nights when we had the geckos in our room while we were there. They're so cute, and I tried many times to catch them but they were too fast!

Paeter said...

Do you have any pictures of the demise of the Star fruit? Sounds somewhat interesting. :P Interesting post.

holamickey said...

Autumn... welcome back. Hey, did you go to Mountain View while you were there. I have often heard some incredible stories about that school.
My favorite picture.... Autumn taking the cow by the horns! I think there is a parable.... :)
Happy Sabbath.