Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hurricane Force Winds...

Headline News...

Storm Day in BC
"The BC coast will be battered with strong winds and heavy rain for most of today. Wind and rainfall warnings are in effect for large areas of the BC coast. Winds are expected to be from 70-90 km/h with up to 105 mm of rain forecasted for some areas."

This was the weather forecast for the events we experienced yesterday. And it was an accurate prediction. I don't recall ever being in a wind storm as bad as the one that hit here Sunday night/early Monday morning. Here is what happened.

Sunday night we arrived late back at school returning from our senior outing to Radiant Living in Vancouver. It was cold and slightly windy, but nothing serious. I went out to feed Shanuk and thought that I would bring her inside with me just so I could spend some time with her without having to stay in the cold. (I don't usually bring her inside except when the temperatures are extremely low or she is barking at the bears and keeping me awake.) As nightfall came, the winds started to pick up and Shanuk started to get really nervous. Because I have a corner bedroom, the wind rips around the outside corner and makes horrible groans and screeches. Shanuk didn't like it at all. Several times I thought she wanted to go back outside, but whenever I opened the front door and she saw how terrible the wind was outside, she would run back in. So I just let her spend the night with me.

It was an absolutely restless night. Shanuk kept pacing around and several times throughout the night, I tried to let her go outside, but she wouldn't. I don't think I have every heard the wind like it was that night. It almost sounded like the house was going to blow away. A loose board on the outside paneling right next to my bed kept clapping at the house. The wind blowing around the outside corner shrieked and hollered. It was horrific sounding. It lasted all night.

The next morning, I finally convinced Shanuk it was time to go outside so that I could get ready for class. I stepped outside and looked over toward her doghouse just to realize there was no longer any doghouse there. Instead it had been thrown a hundred some feet into the orchard. Don't ask me how considering that doghouse is extremely heavy (it took three of us to lift it onto a truck bed to haul it away) and there was a full bucket of water in it that made it heavy too. (I am really grateful it blew in the direction it went because my car is always parked right in front of the doghouse. If it had blown the other direction, my car would have been majorly damaged.)



Anyway, I cringe to think what would have happened to Shanuk if she would have been in the house. Since she is tied to a rope, she probably would have been strangled to death had she been thrown with the house. In addition, it would have just traumatized her to wind even more than she already is. (When she was a puppy, a tornado threw her about 100 yards against a tree while she was in her house). I am just so thankful I felt impressed to bring her inside and that she refused to go back out throughout the night.

So now she is staying in my room until I can get her house fixed. I spent nearly three hours yesterday working with the principal's son trying to get it all put back together. It was so torn up from the wind, we had to take it completely apart and start from the foundation up.


In addition to trees down on campus, one of the roofs on a staff house was raised two feet, then moved back one foot and dropped back down on the house. The ceiling collapsed in part of the house. Amazingly, the couple had just been in that room and felt impressed to move right before it collapsed.

All I can say is that God is good and he cares for those who love him. May we always be thankful for his watch care in our lives.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are safe, Autumn, and Shanuk too. Does it sound like all the damages to property will be repaired soon? The little video was cool ... really brought the story to life.

Staci said...

Wow! That dog house really travelled!! I'm so glad Shanuk's life was spared. That is not the first time since she moved up there! Remember the little song we sang as kids: "Angels are watching over me, I am glad, I am glad." :)

Melanie said...

WOw Autumn, I think God did impress you. That's how our God is... GOOD! We are so blessed to be protected by Him everyday. I'm glad things are okay. Sounds like the northwest is wild sometimes...high wind, BEARS?!,....I'm praying for you. love ya too!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Autumn,
I am thankful God watches over my children--all my children (Shanuk included). She wasn't smiling at the camera--too shy?
Love, Mom

holamickey said...

"The protection of His child and treasure, is a charge that on Himself He laid..." I like the story.
I think you should give the pooch some flower beds around his house - landscaping. :)

Joelle said...

Poor Shanuk! I'm glad she was safe and secure in your house. I bet she's enjoying her life as a house-dog for awhile. ;-) Maybe Shanuk has a guardian angel.

Anonymous said...

That's a huge wind you got there. I don't remember it being that bad before. I praise the Lord Shanuk and you were protected though the ordeal.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.