Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Novelty of Being a Teacher

Being a teacher is a fun job. You have all kinds of crazy things happen in a day. These are just a few in the last two days.

Yesterday morning: (After a student lost his glasses and can't hardly see a thing), "Miss O, I can't find my eye (a huge magnifying glass he's been lugging with him all week). Can you read this math problem to me cause I sure can't see it!" Poor guy! He can't ever figure out if his math homework is right or not cause he can't see what he is doing. Glasses should be arriving some time next week.

Yesterday evening: Since I arrived here two weeks after all the students did, they were all anticipating my arrival and were trying to imagine what the new teacher would be like. One senior was recounting what she thought I would be like. She knew I would be teaching the first half of senior Bible (Defending Your Faith) but not the second part on Marriage and Family (for obvious reasons!). Of course she gathered that I must not be married (and thus wouldn't know much on that topic), so she started conjuring up images of what I must be like--an old spinster with her hair always tied up in a bun. She declared to me yesterday that she was pleasantly surprised that her imaginings were completely wrong... In fact, at first they wondered if I was a new student on campus and then were surprised to find out I was the new "spinster" teacher they had all been waiting for...

Today: (Helping a student on their science lesson regarding the reproductive system), "Miss O, can you help me find three similarities between the male and female reproductive systems. I'm having a hard time..." Ya, I have to admit, that's not the easiest thing to find similarities with! I must have impressed them with at least some knowledge of A&P, so when I was finished helping them, the next question came: "Miss O, are you a doctor? Like, can you treat cancer and operate on people?" Emphatically no! That would definitely not be me!

It's the type of job that keeps you on your toes, gives you lots to smile and laugh about, and always keeps you busy with tons of grading and lesson planning... speaking of which, that's what I should be working on now rather than this post.

So here I sign out,
Yours truly,
Miss O

Ps. I had the most amazing thing happen in D&R class this week! God is really working on the hearts of some of my students. I will try to share that later on.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ms. o, i think you should let them call you what i call you. just kidding. i'm glad things seem to be going well for you over there. it saddens me that everytime i go through my phone to call people, i can't call you. oh well. sometime i suppose.

Autumn said...

Hey Joe!!! That would be crazy if my students called me that!! But besides, you are the only one who can call me that! :) It wouldn't be the same coming from anyone else ;)...

Ya, I've been wanting to get in touch with you too but I haven't been able to call long distance for more than about 3 minutes at a time. So one of these days, when I get that fixed, you may just get a surprise phone call! Anyways, thanks for the post! Great hearing from you!

Anonymous said...

Miss O,
Haha. Sounds like you are having a fun AND funny time.
Seen any bears yet? I see more wildlife in Loma Linda than I ever did in MI. Coyotes, skunks, opossums, black widow spiders, etc to name a few.
I miss you! I'm sending you guys some GYC PR materials in the next few days.
Love,
Mrs. M
j/k. But they do call me Mrs. McNulty at work just to try out my name.

holamickey said...

Teachers are way cool!!! You haven't started putting your hair up...??

Autumn said...

Mrs McNulty, are you still getting used to how that sounds? Anyway, thanks for the post. In fact, I have seen lots of bears...about four since I have been here. My suite mates and I had a crazy experience with one last night. Maybe in my next post I'll talk about the bears.

Micheal, you know actually, I have been putting my hair up... In fact yesterday afternoon and today it was even in a bun! (I am trying to live up to the "spinster" persona, just kidding!) No really, it is called a messy bun and it is quite the thing here, so instead of confirming my "spinsterness" I actually got complements on it instead! You should try one some day... :)

Anonymous said...

These are neat stories Autumn. That sounds like a lot of fun. I have some pretty neat stuff happen to me while I'm trying to teach kids about keeping their teeth clean. Actually you would be surprised at some of the adults. Anyways, I'm thankful that God is using you there. It's so special to be an instrument in His hand. Is it a home leave that you are coming back for? Please pray that my sister has her baby sooner than expected. She is getting really tired of not seeing her toes... :) Have a blessed week. Love and prayers! melanie

sorry for not using my normal sign in thing. I some how messed up my blog and ended up being called...the dude ranch coordinator, so I refuse to use it. I have to figure that out. ;)

Staci said...

These stories really are funny Autumn. I know you have challenges but you are doing a great job! And your students love you. That's important. See you soon! Miss you!!!