On Wednesday of last week, I was traveling down to Berrien Springs Michigan to deliver a bag to a friend who was taking it to Canada with her. On the way down, my turn signal started smoking on me! (Whoever heard of that!) Yes, I know, I have an apostate car... it smokes and drinks. But thankfully I took it through a stop smoking program and that is fixed, but I am still struggling with its drinking problem...sigh. Anyway, while I was at the dealer, I asked them to give my car a physical (after all, I had to go through a medical exam in order to go to Canada so I figured my car may need it as well.) They came back with this list that included changing my left front wheel bearings, engine gasket, and fuel filter, and flushing the transmission fluid and coolant. They wanted to charge me an outrageous amount of money. I about choked when I saw how much they wanted me to pay. But God has blessed me with many friends in many different professions, one of them being a mechanic (he was also a professional figure skater in Russia. I guess those type make the best mechanics since they are quick on their toes and get the job done faster! :)...). So I called up my trusty friend and he said he could do it at a vastly reduced cost. I went to his shop today and he saved me almost $730! Even at 134,500 miles, he says my engine looks terrific, shows almost no signs of rust (which he says is remarkable for a Michigan car), and should last me a very long time. In addition to all the work he did, he gave me a free engine cleaning so now it looks spic and span. On the way home, my car ran great--more power and smoother shifting. It runs as well as it did 60,000 miles ago when I got it! I feel very blessed.
Here is the fine specimen of my engine and my mechanic friend Vladimir Levchenkov...


Oh, btw, did you know that transmission fluid is pink? It is really quite beautiful. So for those of you guys who need to get in touch with your feminine side, just remember that your vehicle sports some lovely pink stuff!
2 comments:
An apostate car. I am glad you put that vehicle through rehab, Autumn. The horror! Your rustless engine is most impressive. Ours weathered its share of Michigan winters and has the battle wounds to prove it.
Happy Canada-hopping.
That is a "beefy" engine!
You are blessed!
God's Speed!
Post a Comment