Monday, June 25, 2007

The Joining of Two Lives

On June 10, I had the awesome privilege of being in my friend Joe Lee's wedding. Joe has been a wonderful friend over the last several years. Some of my fond memories with him include hours spent at the registration table at the General Youth Conference, hours spent on the phone at all crazy hours of the night, long talks about his kids and my kids (students at our respective academies), and deep conversations about life, God, our respective plans and goals for the future, and a myriad of other things. When Joe asked me to be a part of his special day, I couldn't have been more excited! I have enjoyed getting to know Shannon through Joe and watch their friendship blossom and grow into a life-long love for one another. I couldn't wish a better partner for Joe. Shannon is wonderful for him.

To see two lives commit to one another is such an incredible event. To think that they will no longer go through life apart, but instead function as one unit with the same goals, thoughts, ideals, and aspirations is an amazing thing. It just shows the beauty of the institution God created in Eden. He saw that two lives knit together as one would be such a powerful, inspiring thing that together they could help one another grow in love, selfliness, and humility.

I remember having a conversation with a friend once and he told me something I don't think I will ever forget. In regards to lifelong singleness, he mentioned that it is one of those things that God calls only a few to take part in. He went on to explain that the development of a Christlike character is easier in a marriage setting because then you have two people rubbing against one another, softening and subduing each other's character and polishing each other's rough edges. But in singleness, you don't have all these encounters. Thus, it could be potentially more difficult to have your character brought to perfection. Thus, lifelong singleness is something that God only calls a few to share because he knows that for most of us, we need the love, affection, and yes, even correction that can be given through a spouse to help us have a character like Christ's. Interesting thought.

So, here are a few photos of my wonderful friends on their wedding day...



















Joe and Shannon. Don't they look happy!



















Joe and I. Joe, you have been such a great friend throughout the years!















Another one of Joe and I.















Shannon and I.















The newlyweds and I. I am so glad that now I have gained a new friend in Shannon. Shannon, I love you so much! You are awesome! I'm glad you married Joe!

And here are some other random pictures of the wedding party...















While the photographer was taking pictures of the bride and groom, we ladies were having fun posing the guys and taking our own photos! We are pretty good photographers, aren't we?
(From left to right: John Lee-Joe's brother and best man, Sebastien Braxton, Justin Prosser, and Albert Kim)















The three stooges--Albert, Sebastien, and Justin... these guys were having too much fun picking on me throughout the weekend! Thanks guys for making me laugh the entire time!















This was the ride in the limo with Shannon's brother, Justin--the mighty marine! Thanks, man, for being a great escort over the weekend! I don't think I have laughed that much in quite awhile!















The entire wedding party. It was such a fun weekend with everyone!



















And then of course, my wonderful sister!

1 comment:

Staci said...

You were so beautiful!! I am glad you could be part of Joe and Shannon's special day.